1½lb Fennel bulb.
1 large Onion – diced.
4 Cups vegetable broth.
1 Cup Spinach leaves.
1 Tblsp Butter.
2 Large Fuji apples – chopped, peeled and cored.
Crumbled Blue cheese and fennel fronds, for garnish.
1. Trim the root ends and stalks from the fennel bulb, saving a few fronds for garnish. Chop bulb finely.
2. Melt the butter on a medium-high heat in a saucepan, and sauté the onions until soft.
3. Add the vegetable broth, fennel and apple to the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until fennel is soft (approximately 15-20 minutes).
4. Add spinach to the pan, stir and cook for a further minute, or until spinach has wilted.
5. Pour soup into a blender and puree thoroughly.
6. Serve immediately, garnishing with fennel fronds and blue cheese. Season with salt and pepper as required.