This is my new go-to breakfast for the work week, is low-carb and makes a perfectly balanced portion for each day. I’ve also made with variations such as Hungarian Paprika, Cayenne and Creole seasonings – I would suggest omitting the salt if using those, as it ends up overly salty with the added seasoning.
- 12 oz. Mild italian Sausage meat
- 5 oz chopped spinach (fresh, not frozen)
- 1/4lb crumbled feta cheese
- 11 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Break up the raw sausage into small pieces and place it in a medium bowl. Squeeze any remaining liquid out of the spinach, and break it up into the same bowl as the sausage. Sprinkle the feta cheese over the mixture and toss lightly until combined. Lightly spread the mixture onto the bottom of a greased 13×9 casserole dish or 18 greased muffin cups.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl beat the eggs, cream, almond milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg together until fully combined. Gently pour into the pan or muffin cups until about ¾ the way full.
- Bake at 375 degrees (F) for 50 minutes (for the casserole) or (30 minutes) for the muffin cups – or until fully set. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional breakdown (based on 6 portions)