6 Cups of fresh Vine tomatoes – chopped.
2 Slices Onion.
4 Whole Cloves.
2 Cups Vegetable broth.
2 Tblsp Butter.
2 Tblsp All-purpose flour.
1 Tsp Salt.
2 Tsp White sugar.
1 Cup fresh basil leaves – torn.
1. In a stockpot over medium heat, combine the tomatoes, onion, cloves and broth. Bring to a boil and continue to gently boil for 20 minutes.
2. If making a blended version of the soup, put the mixture through a food processor and sieve the contents into a separate bowl.
3. In the stockpot, melt the butter over medium heat.
4. Add the flour to the butter and mix thoroughly, until smooth and no lumps are present. Continue to heat the mixture until the roux is a medium-brown colour.
5. Gradually whisk in the tomato soup, ensuring the mixture is smooth and no lumps are forming.
6. Add the basil leaves to the soup and season with salt and sugar, to required taste.