1/4 Cup Oil
2.5lbs Lamb Shoulder, cut into 1″ pieces
2 Large Onions, thinly sliced
2 Tblsp Ginger, minced
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
1.5 Tblsp Madras Curry Powder
1 Tsp Turmeric
1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Bay Leaves
14oz tomato puree
1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
2 Cups Water
1 Tsp Garam Masala
Basmati rice, Cilantro leaves and naan, for serving
1. In a large dutch oven or heavy bottomed pot, heat the oil over a high heat.
2. Season the lamb with salt and cook, turning once, until the lamb is browned – approximately 12 minutes.
3. Transfer the lamb with a slotted spoon to a plate.
4. Add the onions to the pot and cook over moderate heat until lightly browned.
5. Add the ginger, garlic, curry, turmeric, cayenne and bay leaves and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add the tomato, yogurt and water, season with salt, then mix thoroughly and bring to a boil.
7. Return the lamb and any juices to the pot. Cover partially and simmer over a low heat for approximately 1 hour, until the lamb is very tender.
8. Stir in the garam masala and cook for 5 minutes.
9. Discard the bay leaves.
Serve with rice and naan and garnish with cilantro.