For the marinade:
1lb Boneless, skinless chicken thighs – cut into 2″ pieces.
2 Cloves garlic – peeled and finely crushed.
2cm Fresh ginger – peeled and finely grated.
½ Tsp Sea salt.
½ Tsp Hot chilli powder.
1½ Tbsp Lemon juice.
75ml Natural yoghurt.
½ Tsp Garam masala.
½ Tsp Ground turmeric.
1 Tsp Ground cumin.
1-2 Tblsp Vegetable oil.
For the sauce:
1½ Tblsp Unsalted butter – melted.
2 Cloves garlic – peeled and finely chopped.
2cm Fresh ginger – peeled and finely chopped.
1 Cardamom pod – seeds lightly crushed.
1 Tsp Ground coriander.
1 tsp Garam masala.
1 tsp Ground turmeric.
1 tsp Hot chilli powder.
275ml Tomato sauce.
1 Tbsp Lemon juice.
40g Unsalted butter.
100ml Double cream.
1 Tblsp Fresh coriander – chopped.
1. Place the chicken in a bowl with the garlic, ginger, salt, chilli powder and lemon juice. Mix, cover with cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
2. Mix together the yoghurt, garam masala, turmeric and cumin and add to the chicken, making sure that each piece is well coated with the mixture. Cover again and chill for 3-4 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 360F. Put the marinated chicken pieces on a grill rack set on a baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes. Brush the chicken pieces with a little oil and turn them over. Bake for another 10-12 minutes until just cooked through.
4. For the sauce, heat the butter in a pan and add the garlic and ginger. Fry for a minute or so then add the cardamom, cloves, coriander, garam masala, turmeric and chilli powder. Stir well and fry for 1-2 minutes until they give off an aroma. Stir in the tomato sauce and lemon juice and cook for another couple of minutes. Add the chicken pieces to the sauce and stir well to coat. Finally, add the butter and cream and stir continuously until the butter has melted and the sauce is smooth.
5. Taste and adjust the seasoning, before transferring to a warm bowl and serve hot, garnished with chopped coriander.