350ml of Heavy Whipping Cream
350ml of Whole Milk
0.5 Cups of Sugar
2 Tblsp of Corn Starch
Pinch of Salt
1 Vanilla Bean, split lengthways
1 Tblsp Peppermint Extract
8 Candy Canes, crushed into small pieces
1. Whisk together 200ml of the cold milk with the corn starch, making sure that there are no remaining lumps.
2. Blend the remaining 500ml of the milk & cream, the sugar, salt, peppermint and vanilla bean (with seeds scraped out and added) in a saucepan.
3. On a medium heat, warm until steaming hot but not boiling.
4. Blend the corn starch mixture with the rest of the ingredients in the saucepan.
5. While barely reaching a boil, continue to heat and stir constantly for 5-7 minutes, or until the mixture has begun to thicken.
6. Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the mixture cool down, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
7. Discard the vanilla bean, and freeze according to the instructions of your ice cream machine.
8. Once the mixture starts to freeze and thicken in the icecream maker, slowly and evenly add the pieces of candy cane, to ensure equal distribution.
9. After the churning, place the ice cream in a freezer-safe container, cover with plastic film and a lid, and store in the freezer.