1 Pack of Extra Firm Tofu, cubed
4 Tblsp Olive Oil
2 Tblsp Chili Powder
2 Tblsp Ground Cumin
½ Tsp Salt
½ Tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Medium Onions, chopped
4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
3 15oz Cans of White Beans, drained
2 4oz Cans of Chopped Green Chiles
2 Tsp Oregano
2 Cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
2 Cups Low Sodium Mushroom Broth
7oz Shredded Cashew Cheese
Chopped Scallions and Cilantro for garnish
- Line a cutting board with a lint-free tea towel or paper towels, then arrange the cubed tofu in an even layer on the towels. Fold the towels over the tofu, then place something heavy on top to help the tofu drain. Let the tofu rest for at least 10 minutes, preferably 30 minutes.
- In a frying pan or skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over a medium-high heat and sear the Tofu until lightly browned, then set aside.
- In a large pot, warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat, then sauté the onion and garlic, until tender.
- Add the beans, tofu, chilies, oregano, chile powder, cumin, salt, and cayenne to the pot, stirring to combine all ingredients.
- Add both the vegetable and mushroom broth to the pot and simmer gently on low for 20 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes. With the pot still off the heat, stir in the cashew cheese.
- Bring the pot back to a gentle simmer over low heat and cook for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Serve immediately, topping with the cilantro and scallions.