I’m not a huge fan of this as a direct replacement for cheese because, well, there is no replacement but it makes for an excellent thickener when making a vegan Alfredo sauce.
1 Cup Raw Cashews, soaked overnight, then drained
2 Tblsp Nutritional Yeast
2 Tblsp Lemon Juice
1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder or crushed garlic
1/2 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
1/4 Cup Water
- Place the cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a food processor. Pulse repeatedly to break the cashews down, until they form a coarse, wet meal.
- Scrape the sides of the food processor down with a spatula.
- Turn the motor of the processor on. With the motor running, drizzle in the water and let the cashews process for about 10 seconds. Stop and scrape the machine down again.
- Continue processing for a full 1-2 minutes, or until the cashew cheese is smooth and thick, adding a tablespoon of extra water if needed. The consistency should be a little bit like hummus
- Taste the cashew cheese and add lemon, salt, and pepper to taste. If you like, pulse in fresh herbs or other flavorings. Serve. Cashew cheese will keep for up to 6 days in an airtight container in the fridge.