2lb Leeks – sliced, cleaned and dark green sections removed.
6 Tblsp Unsalted butter.
Heavy pinch kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning.
2lb Yukon gold potatoes – peeled and diced small.
2 Quarts Vegetable broth.
2 Cups Heavy cream.
2 Cups Buttermilk.
1 Tsp White pepper.
2 Tblsp Chives.
1. In a six quart saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
2. Add the leeks and a heavy pinch of salt and sweat for five minutes. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook until the leeks are tender (approximately twenty-five minutes), stirring occasionally.
3. Add the potatoes and the vegetable broth, increase the heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and gently simmer until the potatoes are soft, approximately forty-five minutes.
4. Turn off the heat and puree the mixture until smooth. Stir in the heavy cream, buttermilk, and white pepper.
5. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Sprinkle with chives and serve immediately, or chill and serve cold.