2 Tblsp Butter.
1 Medium onion – chopped.
1 Small carrot – peeled and finely diced.
2 Tblsp Flour.
2lb Tomatoes – peeled, seeded, and chopped.
2 Cups Vegetable broth.
1 Tblsp Tomato paste.
1 Tblsp Fresh basil, or ½ Tsp dried basil.
2 Tsp Fresh thyme, or ½ Tsp dried thyme.
1 Bay leaf.
1 Cup Light cream.
Salt and pepper.
1. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and add the onion and carrot. Cook, stirring frequently until softened (Approximately three to five minutes).
2. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for one to two minutes without allowing to color.
3. Add tomatoes with their juices, broth, tomato paste, basil, thyme and bay leaf, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer stirring frequently for fifteen minutes.
4. Discard bay leaf and in a food processor or blender, puree soup in batches until smooth.
5. Return soup to pan and stir in cream. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.