2 cups Water.
3 cloves Crushed garlic.
2 tsp Kosher salt.
1½ cups cooking oil.
2 green Plantains.
1. Combine water, garlic and salt in medium size bowl and set aside.
2. In a large pan or wok, heat just over ½ an inch of oil, to 325F.
3. Peel plantains and slice crosswise into 1″ pieces.
4. Add plantains to the oil and fry until golden yellow in colour (approx 1-1½ minutes per side).
5. Remove the plantains from the pan and stand them on their ends, on a sheet or chopping board, lined with parchment paper. With the back of a wide, wooden spatula, press each piece of plantain down to half its original size.
6. Place the plantains in the water mixture from step 1 and let soak for 1 minute. After soaking, remove and lightly dry to remove excess water.
7. Bring oil back up to 325F and return plantains to pan and cook until golden brown, (approx 2 to 4 minutes per side).
8. When fully cooked, remove to a dish lined with paper towels, and sprinkle with salt, if desired.