2 Quarts Chicken broth.
2 Stalks fresh Lemongrass – sliced on a bias in 2″ pieces.
4 Kaffir lime leaves.
1″ piece fresh Galangal or Ginger – sliced.
2 Red Chiles – sliced.
2 Tblsp Fish sauce.
1½ Tsp sugar.
8oz Straw mushrooms – rinsed and halved.
1lb Large shrimp – peeled.
2 Limes – juiced.
2 Green onions – sliced.
1 Handful fresh cilantro – chopped.
1. Bring the stock to the boil over medium heat in a saucepan.
2. Add the lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, and chiles. Lower the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, to let the spices infuse the broth.
3. Uncover and add the fish sauce, sugar, and mushrooms. Simmer for five minutes.
4. Toss in the shrimp and cook for about eight minutes until they turn pink.
5. Remove from the heat and add the lime juice, green onions, and cilantro. Taste for salt and spices; you should have an equal balance of spicy, salty, and sour.
Note: The lemongrass and lime leaves are for flavor only and should be avoided when eating the soup.